Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I hate car alarms!

Monday night at around midnight, right below where I live on the other side of the street, there was a car parked and the alarm went off. At first I thought maybe after a while the owner would have noticed and turn it off but the stubborn alarm just kept going off every couple of minutes for the next 2 hours. It was literally driving me nuts! Since it was past midnight, it was especially loud and annoying. The owner of the car must have parked here and went somewhere else far enough that he/she couldn't hear the alarm. It got to a point where I just couldn't take it anymore and thought I have to do something because I thought it was illegal to have alarms in a residential neighborhood. (I live in Queens) I mean I have seen "Don't Honk Penalty $350" signs in manhattan, and this alarm is a honking noise. So I went to look up online for this kind of issue, I couldn't find if car alarms were illegal, but I did find this pdf file that addresses that car alarms is not effective in preventing auto theft and they are working on making them illegal. And in NYC, there's a limit of 3 mins for car alarms. Well! This is way more than 3 mins. So in the end, I called the police. After about another 20 mins, the car alarm stopped. I still didn't know if it was the police that did something or the car owner turned it off, or if the car just ran out of battery. Afterwards, I was so wired that I couldn't even sleep until the sun came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment